We are always looking for great people to get involved as volunteers. If you want to help cut emissions now, please reach out with a resume or letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director, Environmental Justice Outreach
HEET is a nimble nonprofit seeking solutions to climate change through research, education, and collective action. Our mission is to cut carbon emissions now by driving systems change. Our current programs all have a goal of transitioning our region from natural gas and other fossil fuels to renewable energy, while maintaining our values of integrity, innovation, and compassion.
HEET takes practical actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions here and now, while helping people live healthier and less expensive lives. HEET listens, learns, and leverages social networks to teach practical skills with a can-do attitude to reduce emissions. By working with a wide range of organizations, we engage people from all backgrounds, income levels, and beliefs. HEET innovates, connects people, leads research, and shares information widely.
We are looking for a compassionate person with multiple interests and abilities, who will work initially to coordinate outreach and operations for an exciting new environmental justice program, EJAir. This two-year program in three Boston communities—Dorchester, Roxbury, and Charlestown-East Boston—will help people reduce their energy bills and emissions while improving air quality and health.
Being flexible, enjoying a fast-pace, and loving to learn is necessary. Wanting to help people and the planet is critical.
In this minimum 20-hour per week position, you will work primarily from home, until it is safe to have more in-person meetings and community events. We are looking for someone with experience in community outreach and engagement, comfortable initiating and nurturing conversations to work collaboratively with valued allies, and adept at building new connections within communities.
You will learn about every aspect of the work of this small but remarkably effective, award-winning nonprofit. Collaboration is expected and encouraged on other HEET projects, which include mapping gas leaks, research on the composition of gas, and overseeing the first utility-installed networked geothermal system.
Actual work hours are flexible. Most meetings are held on Zoom or Google Meet. In-person meetings will increase when it is safe to do so. Pay is $35/hour. This position begins in May 2021 and is funded for two years, with the potential for continuation.
- Regular check-ins with HEET Directors Team
- Build relationships with community organizations and their members
- Build relationships with community residents, particularly for energy efficiency programs
- Participation in community events to support the program
- Development of outreach materials and communications
- Collaborative innovation for new outreach and projects
- Documentation of outreach completed, listing problems and suggestions
- Report on successes and challenges at weekly HEET meetings
- Passionate about environmental justice
- Kind, personable, enthusiastic, and flexible
- Ability to build trust and understanding
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to manage your own time
- Facile with social media and computer applications
- Open to continuous learning and striving to make a difference
- Good writer, listener, and communicator
- Persistent and detail-oriented problem solver
- Experience with MassSave and the ABCD program are a plus
- Spanish or other language proficiency valued, fluency a plus
Please send a cover letter, writing sample, and resume to careers@HEET.org by April 30, 2021.
HEET is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to the ongoing work of ensuring an inclusive, positive environment for all of the HEET team.